Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY

Confessions of a Reader

Almost Spring,
A spider
Stakes a claim
On a corner
Of the eight-foot window
In our living room.

Each morning
I admire
Taut guidelines
Tightly placed spokes.
Dancing gown threads,
Architecture unrivalled.

My mother
Would not tolerate
Such slovenly housekeeping.
She would get a broom
And knock down
This errant squatter’s palace.

I do not.

I am waiting for Charlotte
To leave a message.

Carol Wilcox
published in All That Matters: What We Value in School and Beyond.
edited by Linda Rief and Maureen Barbieri
Heinemann, 1995

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Carol,
Welcome to Poetry Friday, and thanks for leaving your link on The Well-Read Child. In answer to your question about the Poetry Friday button, you can right click on the image and save it to your hard drive. Then, go in and edit your post, uploading the image to your post! I don't, however, know how to actually make it link to the Poetry Friday roundup. :(

Jill (The Well-Read Child)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I like this spider poem. Whenever we see spiders in my house I tell the boys they are my friend. They eat mosquitos! :)

You can make the Friday Poetry button link to the host site by clicking on the image when you get it into your compose window and then clicking the link button in blogger's compose toolbar and inserting the url. Just like linking a piece of text. Welcome to the party!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I mean "mosquitoes" of course.