Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

POETRY FRIDAY

Didn't think I'd have time to post this week, but in the midst of all the craziness of final exams and test scoring and Christmas programs and basketball practices, a couple of poems found me. So here they are.

fear less
hope more

whine less.
breathe more

talk less.
say more.

hate less.
love more.

And all good things
are yours.

Swedish proverb
****************


Lord Jesus

Master
of both light
and darkness

send

your Holy Spirit
upon our preparations
for Christmas

We who have
so much to do
seek quiet spaces
to hear your voice

We who are anxious
over many things
Look forward
to your coming

We who are blessed
in so many ways
long
for the complete joy
of Your presence

We whose hearts are heavy
seek the joy
of your presence

We are
your people

Walking in darkness
yet seeking
the light

To you
we say
"Come,
Lord Jesus,
Come!"

Henri Nouwen

POETRY FRIDAY is at the Poem Farm today.

5 comments:

Amy L V said...

I think our family will read this Henri Nouwen poem around our own Advent wreath this Sunday. It is perfect for that moment. I am glad that these poems found you, and through you, their way to us! A.

Mary Lee said...

Thank you for the moment of quiet in the middle of this day and this season, and at the end of this crazy week. Whose brilliant idea was it for us to come back and "teach" for THREE MORE DAYS next week?!?!

(my word verification is "pfula" which is what I say to the abovementioned person!!)

Nanc said...

Carol...I check your blog every day! I love the poems you've chosen for right now. I spent lots of years on the basketball bleachers too. Enjoy every little thing about this Christmas with your boys... celebrating the birth of Christ and your wonderful family!

Carlie said...

I love that last one. What a peaceful, hopeful prayer.

crystalannie said...

I think I'll read the first poem to my students next week. The second one is really beautiful and peaceful. Thank you for sharing that!