Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

THE BOOKS NOT READ





















OK, so last year at this time, I was on Cloud Nine. I had read the Newbery. In fact, I was actually one of the few people I knew who had read it. This year, ummm, not soooo much......

John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children's literature 0/3:

Dead End in Norvelt,” by Jack Gantos- haven't read this one or even heard much about it.

Newbery Honor books
  • Inside Out & Back Again, written by Thanhha Lai- I haven't read this one, but I have seen it mentioned in lots and lots of different places, and it's on my TBR list
  • Breaking Stalin’s Nose, written and illustrated by Eugene Yelchin- I hadn't heard of this one-- went hunting for reviews, they look great. Also found out that Yelchin illustrated WONTON, which I love.

Randolph Caldecott Medal and Honor books ( 3 out of 4):

  • A Ball for Daisy," illustrated and written by Chris Raschka- I'm a long time Chris Raschka fan, and read this one just last wee, in one of my Tattered Cover forays. .
Honor books
  • “Blackout,” illustrated and written by John Rocco- Nope, I haven't read this one. Don't even remember seeing it anywhere.
  • "Grandpa Green" Loved this. Thought it was unusual enough that maybe it would win.
  • “Me … Jane" Loved this one too. I'm planning on using it for a mentor text in a biography unit I will be doing next month

Michael L. Printz Award for excellence in literature written for young adults:

Where Things Come Back,” by John Corey Whaley- I haven't read this one, but did read a couple of interviews online today, and I'm thinking I might have to hunt it down.


Coretta Scott King (Author) Book Award (4/4 This was my best category this year!!!!)

“Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans” I love anything Kadir and am actually reading this one to my fourth graders right now.

Honor books (both of these were nominated for the CYBILS poetry category, so I had read both of them several times)

  • “The Great Migration: Journey to the North,” illustrated by Jan Spivey Gilchrist
  • “Never Forgotten,” illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon

Coretta Scott King (Illustrator) Book Award:

  • “Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom,” Loved this one, thought the unusual use of light and color might even get Underground looked at for a Caldecott
  • “Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans,”

Schneider Family Book Award for books that embody an artistic expression of the disability experience (0/3)- haven't read any of these, not even Wonderstruck

  • “close to famous,” written byJoan Bauer
  • “Wonderstruck: A Novel in Words and Pictures,”
  • “The Running Dream,” written by Wendelin Van Draanen

Mildred L. Batchelder Award for an outstanding children's book translated from a foreign language and subsequently published in the United States:

  • Soldier Bear” is the 2012 Batchelder Award winner.

Batchelder Honor Book

  • “The Lily Pond,” written by Annika Thor, and translated by Linda Schenck.

Pura Belpré (Illustrator) Award honoring a Latino writer and illustrator whose children's books best portray, affirm and celebrate the Latino cultural experience
Pura Belpre

Diego Rivera: His World and Ours,” illustrated by Duncan Tonatiuh- haven't read this, but given that half of my class are ELL (Spanish speakers), it is definitely one I want to hunt down

Belpré Illustrator Honor Books

  • “The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred,” illustrated by Rafael López, written by Samantha R. Vamos - haven't read this but I did add it to my list after MaryLee reviewed it last week. That counts, right?
  • “Marisol McDonald Doesn’t Match /Marisol McDonald no combina,” illustrated by Sara Palacios, written by Monica Brown- another one that I had not heard of, but it looks great

Pura Belpré (Author) Award (0/3)

  • Under the Mesquite,” written by Guadalupe Garcia McCall- no
Belpre Honor
  • “Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck,” written by Margarita Engle
  • “Maximilian and the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller,”

Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award for most distinguished informational book for children- 0/5- not quite sure how that could have happened, given that I love nonfiction and read tons of it!

  • Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade,” written by Melissa Sweet- not supposed to admit that I haven't read this right, even though everyone has been raving about it for months. I did put it on reserve at the library.
Honor Books
  • "Black & White: The Confrontation between Reverend Fred L. Shuttlesworth and Eugene ‘Bull’ Connor," written by Larry Dane Brimner
  • "Drawing from Memory," written and illustrated by Allen Saya
  • "The Elephant Scientist," written by Caitlin O’Connell and Donna M. Jackson,
  • "Witches!: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem" written and illustrated by Rosalyn Schanzerand published by the National Geographic Society.


Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for the most distinguished beginning reader book-- 2/4:

"Tales for Very Picky Eaters," haven't read this, or even seen it.

Geisel Honor Books

  • "I Broke My Trunk,” written and illustrated by Mo Willems- love this one
  • "I Want My Hat Back," written and illustrated by Jon Klassen- I know everyone in the whole Twitter world loves this one.
  • "See Me Run," written and illustrated by Paul Meisel- haven't read this one yet.
Guess I have my work cut out for me!

1 comment:

Samantha Vamos said...

Hello. Hope you enjoy the book! All best, Samantha