Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

SLICE #25: ANOTHER CONVERSATION, THIS ONE WELL-REMEMBERED

So I kinda started out chronologically on my story of our gotcha time, but this story is too good not to be told, and it happened six months and a million stories or slices later…

We are at Kadeem's end of year football "banquet." A football banquet, for those of you who don't know, is an end of year celebration, where coaches reflect on the season and everyone gets a trophy.  With younger kids, the banquets were usually held at a fun venue- an arcade, a bowling alley, a race track.  This particular event was held at Boondocks, which featured an outside race track, lots of video games, all with their own bells and whistles, and laser tag.

Kadeem, Isaiah, and I are waiting in line to play laser tag. One of Kadeem's teammates is standing in line in front of us. After a brief conversation with Kadeem, he turns around and looks at me, then turns back around. Soon, I can feel his eyes on me again. And again. After several turns, he finally speaks.

Teammate: So. You're Kadeem's mom?

Me: Yeah, I am.

Kadeem, Isaiah, and I have been a family for about six months and I am prepared for what is coming next. I am ready to give my speech about how families are the people who love and take care of you, that  not all families look alike, that I always wanted to be a mom, and the boys needed a mom, and that we are a family, yada, yada, yada…

Kadeem's teammate saves me the trouble. He wrinkles up his nose, then says, "Aren't you kind of old to be a mom?"

Yes, sweetie.

Yes, I am.

I am kind of old to be a mom.

9 comments:

Karen said...

I don't think you're ever too old to be a mom, and I bet your boys don't think so either.
However, I enjoyed this conversation because once again it speaks to the candor of kids. Thanks again for sharing the journey of how you and the boys came to be a family unit. Have absolutely loved learning about your journey!!

Franki said...

Laughing out loud. I feel old to be a mom on a lot of days! Crack me up! I love kids.

Chris said...

Oh boy, kids say what's on their minds. Great story!

jenb. said...

Darn the innocence of honest children. I keep telling myself that the older I get, the better mom I will be because my world view will be just a little wider, my patience will be just a little bit bigger, and the waiting period will build just the right amount of anticipation to make it the most joyful thing I do! :)

Anonymous said...

As long as the love it there, you can't be too old.

Linda B said...

What I love is that he said nothing about your color, which is what you were waiting for, right? He just thought you were so, so, so old! I stopped asking my students a long while ago how old they thought I was. Even when I was way younger, they always guessed OLDER! What a great story, Carol. I'm always interested!

writekimwrite said...

So happy to come back to your blog. I read your Gotcha story with love and tears. I wanted to hear more and am happy you delivered in these remembered conversations. Thanks so much for sharing. Loved how you shared how you thought you were praying for a husband when you got your two boys. Which told me it was a God plan all the time. Touching.

Dana said...

This just made me smile.

Mary Lee said...

**Laughing and crying at the same time**