Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A PERFECT DAY- Carin Berger

So I am thinking about all of my friends in the Northeast. Many were without electricity and heat all week, had power restored over the weekend, and are now probably facing the same situation again this week. My heart goes out to them.

I also remember, however, how much I loved snowstorms. I grew up in Colorado, and we didn't have lots of snow days, but at least once or twice a year, the call would come that school was closed, and we would have the day to play outside, to sled on the hill on a cul-de-sac behind our house, to build snow forts and angels, and then to finally, to clump home, with frozen fingers, toes, and cheeks, and drink hot chocolate with miniature marshmallows.

A PERFECT DAY by Carin Berger, perfectly captures those kinds of days. The first few pages remind me of somewhat, of Ezra Jack Keats' A SNOWY DAY.
It snowed
         and snowed
and snowed
        and snowed

The whole world was white.

Emma got to make the first tracks in the snow…
Author Carin Berger follows Emma, her friends, and Otto the dog, as they skate, build snowmen, and make snow angels. One girl even sets up an icicle stand.

I loved, loved, loved the collage illustrations in this book. Carin Berger uses old catalogs, books, recipes, and ledgers to create the snow, a million shades of white and gray against a turquoise sky. And if I had a million dollars, I would be contacting Ms. Berger to ask if I could buy the picture of the snow angels, or the page when night falls, to hang in my living room. Gorgeous illustrations.

This is definitely one to add to your winter basket! Not only is it a perfect capturing of a winter day, but I'm guessing that it would draw writing out of a lot of kids. A PERFECT DAY is a perfect picture book!

REVIEW COPY PROVIDED BY PUBLISHER

3 comments:

Linda B said...

It does look gorgeous Carol. Thanks.

carinberger said...

edWow!

A friend just sent me a link to your wonderful blog.

Thank you so much for your generous review of "A Perfect Day"!

It made my day...perfect.

Carin

Carol said...

Carin,
Glad you got to see the review. Such a gorgeous picture book!
Carol