Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

IT'S MONDAY- WHAT ARE YOU READING

OK, so not a lot of time for writing this weekend, but I did get a little reading done last week. Aside from reading and rereading poetry for the CYBILS, here are the two novels I read last week…


SEE YOU AT HARRY'S has gotten lots and lots of great reviews this fall and it should get a lot more. The book is told through the eyes of Fern (named after Fern in CHARLOTTE'S WEB), who spends much of her life hanging out at the family's restaurant. Fern is the third of four children, and is often annoyed at having to babysit her younger brother, Charley (named for the Roald Dahl character), while the family works at the restaurant. I'm not going to say anymore, because I don't want to spoil it by giving away too much…


This is the sequel to BECAUSE OF MR. TERUPT. Kids who liked the first book will probably be excited that there is a second one. It felt pretty predictable, but kids will be excited, I think, to become reacquainted with old friends…

Not sure how much reading time there will be this week. Lots of night meetings. I have SPLENDOR AND GLOOMS checked out from the library…

You can see what other people are reading at TEACH MENTOR TEXTS.

3 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Still waiting for Buyea to use his background and write a middle grade novel about wrestling. Mr. Terupt is a bit of a hard sell in my library.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Loved See You At Harry's - and my kids have passed the book around so much since the school year began. Buyea's book was a disappointment - but, you are right, the kids loved being reaquainted with these characters.

Linda B said...

Well, I guess we loved See You At Harry's-one of my favorites this year. I loved the 1st Mr. Terrupt, but have hers this is not so great. Too bad.Thanks, Carol.