Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

POETRY FRIDAY


I am trying to remember where I first heard the poem, "Mice" by Rose Fyleman. Did my mom read it to me when I was a little girl? Or maybe I stumbled across the poem in a children's literature class in Virginia Westerberg's children's literature class in college. Was it a poem I read to my kindergarten class, that first year that I was a teacher? Truthfully, I can't remember, but I do know it's one I've always loved.

Mice
by Rose Fyleman
 I think mice are rather nice.
Their tails are long 
Their faces small, 
They haven't any 
Chins at all…
And no one seems
To like them much.

But I think mice 
Are nice. 

Read the rest of the poem here

Recently, Lois Ehlert made this much loved poem into picture book. Truthfully, I am not really a fan of mice, but Ehlert's torn paper collage mice, wandering through the house, creating their own art, are really, really fun. And preschool readers will be surprised to learn just who it is that thinks mice are rather nice.

MICE would be a perfect gift for any preschooler or beginning reader.

Robyn Hood Black is hosting POETRY FRIDAY this week. Stop by and check out her gorgeous fox poem.

9 comments:

Linda B said...

I always love the collage work, and envy those artists who do it so beautifully. Cute book, and of course, the poem is delightful, whether we really agree or not, right? Thanks Carol.

Marjorie said...

You know, I can't think when or where this poem first entered my life either. I love the slight defiance of it! And thank you for highlighting this new illustrated edition - Lois' collages look gorgeous.

Ruth said...

This has always been one of my favorites, too!

Robyn Hood Black said...

And I think this POST is nice, Carol! I love this poem, too.

My hat's always off to Lois Ehlert as well - her work is just brilliant.

Thanks for sharing!

GatheringBooks said...

I am familiar with Lois Ehlert's work but this is the first I've heard of this book. Looks really nice! I also love collage art work. :)

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

The lovely collages and sweet verses just might change my views on mice.....

Carol said...

And in kind of a bizarre payback, after I had just published a nice review about mice, my son told me that he had seen a mouse in his room last night! AARGH!

Violet N. said...

This takes me back to elementary school. Thanks for the memory. And the book sounds beautiful.

Violet N.

Mary Lee said...

Karma's got a weird sense of humor. Good luck with the REAL mouse.

I heart Lois Ehlert and can't wait to see this book!