Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Pile of Primary Valentine Books

One of my core beliefs is that kids get better at reading by massive amounts of text. When I taught first and second grade, I always wanted to make sure that there were lots of books that my kids could actually read. One time I found a box of "I CAN READ" books in my parents' basement. Even though they were from the sixties and didn't have the greatest pictures, my students loved them and read them until the covers literally fell off.

I'm delighted, then, that new I CAN READ books are being released almost every week. JUST A LITTLE LOVE features Little Critter whose family seems beset by disasters- illness, bee stings, traffic tickets, all things that can be fixed by a little love . The text is not too hard and there's good picture support. Perfect for kids who are just getting the hang of the reading game.

IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY is another book in the I CAN READ series. This book, first published in 1983, features Valentines poems by Jack Prelutsky. Some are silly and some are sweet. I think this will be the one I feature on Friday:

 "I LOVE YOU MORE THAN APPLESAUCE"
I love you more than applesauce
than peaches and a plum
than chocolate hearts and cherry tarts
and berry bubble gum.

I love you more than lemonade
and seven layer cakes,
than lollipops and candy drops,
and thick vanilla shakes.

I love you more than marzipan
and marmalade on toast,
Oh I love pies of any size,
but I love you the most.
Jack Prelutsky
 Emily is making a special Valentine card that includes all of her favorite things. Her friend Foxy hopes that he will be on the card, but is a little sad to discover that Emily likes hot chocolate with marshmallows, and balloons, and rainbows and umbrellas better. But wait, there's a surprise at the end!

TULIP AND REX - a sweet book about a little dancerina and the dog friend she finds in the park.

Review copies provided by the publisher.

No comments: